Today’s my birthday. I am now 24.
It’s also been officially a week since I got here to LA with a one way ticket.
I began the day at the stroke of midnight filled with fear and dread along with excitement. A lot has changed in the last week, let alone the last month. (Is there a word to describe that combo feeling of anxiety, excitement and fear for what’s ahead?) As proud as I am of myself for making the move, the uncertainty and unknown of what’s in store is both thrilling and terrifying.
I’ve never been the type to celebrate birthdays with parties or events. Each year, it’s more of a mental check-in and reflection:
Did I accomplish what I wanted to this past year? Am I one step closer to the kind of woman I want to be?
Someone asked me what was on my list this year. Besides the fact that a place to call my own (the housing I want has been hard to find) and a job I like (the one I found last month wasn’t a good fit) is obviously first and foremost, here is what is on my list this year.
I know you’re not supposed to say your birthday wishes out loud but I also believe that saying things is supposed to help make it happen, or at least keep me accountable.
1) Never get stuck in the comfort zone. Always keep challenging expectations. Strive to outdo myself everyday.
2) Get in shape and maintain a healthy lifestyle. There are no excuses not to here.
3) Write more consistently. A blog post each week, at the minimum.
4) If something scares me, I should probably do it. Do one thing that scares me everyday so that fear is no longer a consideration.
5) Meet people who are smarter than I am. Always keep that love of learning and people alive. Build a strong base of friends and relationships here in LA.
Those are some basic goals (I have to keep some private, right?) and I’m sure they will evolve as time passes.
Today my birthday began with the friend I’m staying with now. We talked about life til the wee hours of the morning. It concludes with dinner with the friend who convinced me to make the jump to LA in the first place. It continues with the friends I’ve gotten to know here.
I’m so grateful for all the love and support this far. Thank you- Could’nt have asked for a better start to my 24th, and I promise to make this year even bigger and better than the ones before.
To making this year a scarily exciting and eventful one.
*this is my second post that I’ve written on my phone. Hope it looks ok?
“If you don’t go after what you want you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no. If you don’t step forward you’re always in the same place”