I feel like I’ve been entrepreneurial my entire life. I’ve also had way too many jobs in the past few years for me to consider a long term corporate life. Oftentimes I feel unchallenged by what I am doing, or what I have done is not aligned with the vision I have for my life/my values.
After multiple attempts of trying to stay in a position where I am working for someone else’s dream and system… I’ve decided that I’m finally starting my own business.
It is a culmination of who I am… what I want to see more of in this world… and what I feel I am called to do.
Starting your own business is not the easiest thing. Entrepreneurship has become such a buzzword and a “status” but it comes with it’s own challenges and tradeoffs. What I want to do might sound crazy to a lot of people, including my parents.
But I’ve come to the point where I feel very clear on my vision that I am willing to do whatever it takes to create this. I’ve come to a point where everything I do is intuitively guided and intentional and I can’t deny wanting to start my own thing anymore. Entrepreneurship isn’t a job, it’s a lifestyle. I know this and it’s time to embrace it.
Here are a few reasons why I am starting my own business. If you’ve ever watched Simon Sinek’s TED talk about “Start with Why”/ why great leaders inspire action”… you know that if you are clear on your WHY… everything else just follows.
Here is my why:
– I love people. No matter how shitty and scary this world may seem to others, I am optimistic and hopeful. I am skeptical within reason of course… but I use that skepticism to reflect on why/how I feel that way. At the end of the day, it is in my nature to care and give. I want to be of value and service to others. I want my business to reflect my own character and growth.
– Building a business is one of the greatest personal development journeys you can embark on. It tests your confidence, your vision, your persistence, your ability to accept change, your willingness to listen, your growth mindset…. everything. It’s a confronting experience to most people, but to me I don’t think there’s anything more attractive than improving and learning everyday and creating something that shows that.
-I want to conquer my fears. Any fear of failure, of being judged, of being misunderstood, of not being good enough… I’m pretty sure by creating this business that is essentially me (because my brand is me and so personal), I will emerge from the other side a stronger, savvier, braver and more empathetic human. This entrepreneurial journey will be a true test of my fear/faith/vision/character. I’m ready for it.
– I’ve always known the kind of person I wanted to be, but when people would ask me what my dream job was… I was never able to give a job title. This is because my dream job just didn’t exist and I’ve known for awhile that I would have to create the job of my dreams. I want to start my own business because I will be able to be a teacher, a thought leader, an influencer, a healer, a creator, my own CEO… all of the things I’ve always wanted to do and be.
-I want to work on my own terms. I have a specific way I want to do things. I want to work smarter not harder. I want to spend less time in front of the computer. I crave freedom to create and operate as I please. Starting my own business will be a lot of work, but if done correctly, will result in permission and the ability to be free in business and life.
-I want to help others help themselves. As humans I really believe that we aren’t trying to find the meaning of life… We’re actually trying to feel and sustain the feeling of what it’s like to be alive. I want to help others gain clarity… gain confidence… trust themselves… heal themselves. The personal journey I have gone on I hope will give strength and encouragement to others to change their own life. I want to root for you and support individuals, so that we can change the world one person at a time.
– I want to show myself and you my dear reader, that it is possible to do something you love and that it’s possible to get paid to be you. Authentically you. I want to live a life by example. To be the same person in business and life. What I create will be my message to the world.
– I want to up-level my life. Instead of working for someone else where I am subject to their rules… I want to live and work by own rules. This will not be easy as I will have to build systems and structures of course, but all of the things I will have to do to be visible, make an impact, be successful… will only up-level my life and my mindset. There is no success without inner work and some sort of struggle or tension.
-Every person I’ve met and experienced has led me to this decision. Having worked and met people across industries and backgrounds in business and life has allowed me to figure out what I do and don’t want to be in my own business. The brands and companies I love, I will take notes on. The bad experiences and people I’ve come across, I will be sure not to be like. I want to be the boss I’ve always wanted.
-I want to make money and build a following soulfully. Money does not have to be a dirty word. I’m approaching making a living with heart and intention. Business can be done with strong values in place, or it can be motivated by lack and greed. I want to build a business sustained by hard work and heart work.
– It is my passion and mission to make the “woo woo” more mainstream and to make mental health/self care a more normal topic of discussion… especially in the Asian American community. When you go to wellness or fitness classes, you will notice that people of color are the minority. I know what it’s like to live in suffering and self doubt… I know what it’s like to feel alone in your thoughts. By sharing my work and service, I’m hoping that this will change the wellness landscape to include more diversity. I hope that this will prompt a willingness to explore intuition, wellness and allow you to think about what you value. It’s incredibly important to make mental health less of a “scary” and unapproachable topic, because once we are honest with the pain and issues we are feeling/noticing, it is possible to address and heal.
Basically, there are more reasons to start, than there are reasons not to. So here we go.
Keep in touch with me (subscribe to my newsletter/follow me on instagram) to see when I announce what I’m up to! If this post already resonates with you, that’s a great sign.
I also updated my About Me to reflect where I am (vs what was there from years ago) in case you want to read in the meantime 🙂